- Launch independent reading, vocabulary logs, and collaborative discussion norms.
- Read literary text Love That Dog to analyze what happened and how the main character felt about it.
- Closely read famous poems in the back of Love That Dog to determine a theme, to iden-tify the characteristics of poetry, and to write a summary of the poem.
- Compare poetry to prose using the characteristics of poetry.
- Continue reading Love That Dog and analyzing the famous poems for characteristics of poetry.
- Prepare for and practice a text-based discussion about where you can see evidence of Jack being inspired by other poetry in his work.
- Prepare for and participate in a text-based discussion about how Jack's feelings toward poetry have changed since the beginning of Love That Dog.
- Mid-Unit 1 Assessment: Summarizing a Poem and Comparing Prose and Poetry (RL.4.1, RL.4.2, RL.4.5, RL.4.10, and W.4.9a)
- End of Unit 1 Assessment: Analyzing Changes in Jack's Character (RL.4.1, RL.4.3, RL.4.10, W.4.9a, SL.4.1a-c)