Getting Started Suggestions
We've created seveeral support tools for you as you begin implemtnaiton of the curriculum. Here are a few suggestions as you get started.
- To help orient you to the website’s overall layout, start by watching two short screencasts: Part 1 and Part 2.
- Visit our Overview page to learn more about the new curriculum and how it is structured.
- To access the materials for your grade, visit the Grade Level landing pages. These are also accessible anytime by clicking the large red “Curriculum” link on the top left of every page.
- Explore our extensive Tools page to learn more about the purpose of the new curriculum and how to implement the content:
- Review your grade’s Curriculum Map and Curriculum Plan for an overview of the scope and sequence of the curriculum and standards covered in each module (in this section).
- Explore the At-a-Glance charts for your grade level, which provide week-by-week and lesson-by-lesson overviews for each module.
- After purchasing the required trade books, review the recommended texts and other resources list. Stock your classroom library with books that are related to the module topics and include a range of Lexile levels. Texts are also broken down by grade level on the Texts page.
- Scroll through this section of the Tools page to download the K-5 Classroom Protocols, K-5 Writing Rubrics and Checklists, and the Independent Reading Sample Plans (Grades 3-5).
- Watch a series of videos of the curriculum in action in classrooms like yours.
- Purchase our new book, Your Curriculum Companion: The Essential Guide to Teaching the EL Education K-5 Language Arts Curriculum, as an orientation to the implementation of the curriculum.
A great place to start accessing the content is on each module landing page, which orients you to the content and includes links to the module overview, assessments, connections to other components of the curriculum, and more. If you click “Download Materials,” you will receive all of the supporting materials for each unit or cycle in the module, the K-2 Labs or ALL Block that corresponds to that module, and all of the module’s implementation resources:
Going one step deeper, you will find links to each module’s unit on the module landing page. On each unit landing page (accessed by clicking the name of the unit; see screenshot below), you will find an overview of the purpose and structure of the unit, ELL supports, assessments, texts and key materials, and links to all the individual lessons. When you click “Download Materials,” you will receive all of the supporting materials for that unit or cycle, as well as the homework overview.
The lesson plans themselves are viewable on our website, but are not included in the lesson downloads. To access the lesson plans, click the name of the lesson:
- On each lesson’s landing page (e.g., this page), you will find all of the directions, supports, and teaching notes needed to teach the lesson. If desired, this content can be printed directly from your browser. Note: If you are having trouble printing from your browser (e.g., content gets cut off, a pop-up window appears on the printout), we recommend trying a different browser such as Safari, Firefox, or Internet Explorer.
- You can also create a downloadable PDF of each lesson plan. To do so, depending on your browser, select “Export to PDF” or “Save as PDF” from the File menu. You can then print the PDF to have a hard copy of the lesson plan.
In developing the new website for the K-5 Language Arts curriculum, we relied on user feedback from the first edition. Users requested more security to protect answer keys from being widely accessible online. We’ve now placed this content in our password-protected Resource Library.
Access to the assessments and answer keys are free; simply create a new user account. You will find the assessments about halfway down each Module and Unit landing page:
When you follow that link, you will find descriptions of each assessment and be able to download the assessment overview and resources for each unit and the module’s performance task. These downloads include all the necessary supporting materials (e.g., anchor charts, answer keys, etc.) Below that list, you can download all the assessments and resources for the entire module, as well as the performance task:
A great place to familiarize yourself with these two new curriculum components is on this page, where you’ll find overviews and implementation guidance documents.
- Labs can be downloaded on each module landing page, just above the "Connection to the Labs" section. Note that for Labs, the download includes both the lesson plan and supporting materials.
- ALL Block materials can be downloaded on each unit landing page, just above the lesson list. Note that for the ALL Block, the download includes both the lesson plan and supporting materials.
A great place to start with the new K-2 Skills Block is on this page, where you’ll find an overview of the curriculum and a guidance document.
Skills Block Guidance Documents
We have created several resources to support you in implementing the K-2 Skills Block. You can find these materials on our Tools page in this section. We recommend starting with the following:
- Print the K-2 Reading Foundations Skills Block Resource Manual for easy access to Benchmark Assessments (teacher and student materials), the Activity Bank, and other important implementation resources.
- Use the K-2 Reading Foundations Skills Block Differentiation Packs for Kindergarten to Grade 2 as a quick resource for planning differentiated small group instruction for students whose microphase aligns with work from a different grade level. The Differentiation Packs also include the first page of the cycle overview and poems and decodable readers for each cycle.
- Review the K-2 Reading Foundations Skills Block: Learning Letters, a collection of the K-2 Reading Foundations Skills Block curricular materials related to learning about letter names, sounds, and formation.
In addition, in this section of the website you can find both a Scope and Sequence and Standards and Targets document for the K-2 Skills Block.
Skills Block Modules
To access the K-2 Skills Block teacher guides and supporting materials, visit each grade level’s landing page (e.g., the Grade 1 landing page):
Our partner, Open Up Resources, is developing several digital formats of the curriculum to including HTML, Common Cartridge, Microsoft One Note. These options will be available to districts and schools to help meet a variety of needs including learning management systems. Please sign up for our mailing list for an update on availability. For additional questions, you can also contact Open Up Resources.
- Can’t find what you are looking for? Try searching the site by grade, type, keyword, or protocol.
- If you are experiencing issues printing lessons pages, particularly in Chrome, switch to another browser.
- You can also save lessons as a PDF by selecting “Export to PDF” or “Save as PDF” from the File menu of your browser. If you are having trouble accessing the assessments portal, try logging out and logging back in.